Mom Nature is probably not all the time that motherly, however each once in a while she does throw us a bone. This final week in Ontario was fairly good on the typical, with some well timed rains in some areas and a few first-cut haylage wrapping up.
However the well timed rain has additionally introduced alongside some storms, and warmth, and Ontario’s wheat crop is at or approaching pollination — what does it imply for yield? Wheat Pete’s Phrase host Peter Johnson has the reply to that and a lot extra on this week’s podcast. (Abstract is under)
Have a query you’d like Johnson to handle or some yield outcomes to ship in? Disagree with one thing he’s mentioned? Depart him a message at 1-844-540-2014, ship him a tweet (@wheatpete), or electronic mail him at [email protected]
- Well timed rains for some Mom Nature threw us somewhat bone in Ontario
- Some hail and large storms in different areas of the province
- Mom Nature is just not all the time that motherly. Ugh
- First reduce haylage is wrapping up within the south and west of the province
- Scorching, scorching, warmth — the wheat crop is in pollination and it doesn’t like over 25 for pollination. The subsequent two weeks are most crucial for the wheat crop. That is when the crop decides what number of florets set seed. We want solar and average temps.
- Seeing some unusual stuff within the wheat crop: physiological fleck (on the high of the plant, appears like tan spot). Appears selection particular, too
- Head snag occurs when it’s actually dry, and seeing a few of that in Branson and another varieties. Extra right here.
- How late is just too late for T3 timing utility? Properly, bear in mind your pre-harvest interval, for positive. However you’ll be able to go somewhat later to guard towards FHB, however you’ll miss the leaf illness management. You possibly can perhaps go to Day 8 (Day zero is 75 per cent of heads emerged)
- There’s one thing happening with sulphur this 12 months, for positive. And we’re nonetheless attempting to kind out precisely what’s happening. In the event you’ve bought a poor wheat discipline, it’s value correcting, for positive.
- Break up app N induced a deficiency for one farmer. It does occur.
- On to rolling soybeans! When ought to we roll? Take a look at this video on it. Typically, rolling at planting can truly make emergence tougher. When the stems are versatile, you’ll be able to truly choose up a couple of bushels, normally as a result of you’ll be able to harvest so near the bottom, not since you change the plant
- In cereals, rolling might be completed for a distinct motive, nevertheless it’s a idea (knock again the apical dominance and stimulate the crop to tiller)
- Fighting emergence? It’s all about soil construction. Rotation, rotation, rotation. Beans on beans is the worst (for thus many causes)
- Soil kind issues, too. Corn into clay is struggling to get 20,000 vegetation per acre. On clay, it pays to attend for heat, prepared soil. Sands and loams, these early planted fields are simply high-quality.
- No moisture so far as 4 to 5 inches deep? Plant at an inch and a half and pray for rain. If there may be moisture at two and half inches, for instance, plant to moisture.
- Antagonism within the tank between Dicamba and Guarantee!