In gale pressure winds, it’s fairly straightforward to make the decision to park the sprayer; however on days which might be a bit breezy, and if time is tight, there are issues you are able to do to handle drift danger and do a greater job of spraying in lower than very best circumstances.
In fact, time is an element too, and on this LIVE! Q&A with Tom Wolf of Sprayers 101 and AgriMetrix, host Shaun Haney asks about one of the best methods to measure wind, how you can assess the chance of spraying later or under no circumstances vs. going when it’s too windy, and extra. Pay attention in beneath, or take a look at the abstract.
Don’t miss the following RealAg LIVE! Wednesday at Three pm Jap — with Shaun Haney, Kelvin Heppner, and Lyndsey Smith
- Let’s discuss wind. How do you make the decision to go or not go? Commerce off between doing a poor job of spraying vs. ready vs. not spraying in any respect. And, after all, off-site motion.
- Is there a finest device for measuring wind? Wind will get stronger at elevation, bear in mind. It’s measured at 10 m for climate websites, and reduces nearer to the bottom/sprayer degree. Your personal climate station may be the answer.
- European vs. North American sprayers: Why don’t we see extra right here? European sprayers are sometimes run as small firms. However we’re seeing extra right here, similar to Amazone or Horsch. There, they’ve competitors, and so they have more durable requirements, and so they work more durable for what our wants are, similar to simpler clean-out and extra refined folding. However, they’re restricted to three m transport width, so the sprayers have an odd form and look.
- What has been adopted by North American sprayers? 5 main firms, mainly, and never a variety of competitors or strain to innovate means not so much has modified.
- Model loyalty is shifting primarily based on options, particularly booms. Farmers are valuing the flexibility to degree booms simpler, have extra stability or quicker folding, for instance.
- Suggestions for clear out, switching product: How can we correctly clear that tank, growth and nozzles? Spray it empty…which requires correct metering and correct information of what’s within the tank to reduce waste. Step 1. Spray it out. Step 2. Much less water, however a number of rinses, and try this within the area, i.e. 50 gallons, 5 occasions, vs 250 gallons as soon as. A lot cleaner! Step 3. Spray out your rinse water. That’s most of it. You will have to do finish caps, ends, and filters, the place spray could get caught up.
- What about cleaners? Some labels need the product to sit down for hours, however that solely works in case you’re carried out spraying for the day. Ammonia can be helpful, it’s a pH adjuster, and helps dissolve some merchandise. But it surely doesn’t work for all merchandise.
- Then, there’s mixing order. If it goes poorly, you lose a day. And you must do away with it safely, then clear out and begin once more. Stopping an issue is effectively definitely worth the effort and time of some research and double checking.
- Do a jar take a look at when including in a brand new product or a number of merchandise to examine compatibility, with the precise spray water and on the temp you’ll be mixing at.
- Dicamba dialogue: This couldn’t have occurred at a worse time! If we don’t have entry to the product, what does it imply for options, will there be sufficient product? Give it some thought, if Liberty was pulled proper now to be used on any InVigor acres. It will be large, large. Does it imply they need to re-submit for 2021? If that’s the case, we’re unlikely to see over-the-top dicamba use in 2021.
- What about shifting to extra tillage vs. much less? WeedIT sensor on a cultivator toolbar, spring-loaded shank, and little chisel, so know-how is nice and choices are good. Used on chem fallow, not in-crop. However we nonetheless want entry to herbicides.
- (Nozzle) tip of the day! Begin with one thing within the center and work your means up and down. Low drift, low strain, large strain vary, air induction. Ta da! Lower than very best spraying conditions? Take the time to alter the nozzle and shield in opposition to drift.
- Spray early, so use the nozzle that permits you to try this.
- Stress controls droplet measurement, bear in mind.